Introduction to Citation PowerPoint (PP) introduces direct quote citation expectations that include signal phrase and parenthetical documentation examples. Slideshow incorporates embedded resources links and is designed as the first introduction to citation and documentation with an essay assignment that uses textbook, anthology and/or Internet article and requires students to incorporate 1-3 direct quotes with parenthetical documentation in each essay body paragraph. Preview
- Flexible instruction can be used in a comp. I or comp. II course.
- Geared toward sources from a textbook, anthology and/or Internet article selection.
- Asks students to include 1-3 direct quotes per essay body paragraphs (customizable).
- Introduces “claim, cite, explain” body paragraph structure to give students direction for incorporating citation as evidence to support a claim rather than as language to make a claim.
- Teaches direct quote citation in two parts: citation with signal phrase and parenthetical documentation.
Click below for a preview of the document.
(note: Previews are in Google Docs, Google Slides, PDFs and JPEGS. Purchased downloads will be in MS Word or MS Powerpoint as live and customizable files. Preview and sample color, design, and language may vary slightly from final downloadable product.)
- Fully customizable so you can edit, rename, or redesign it yourself as needed.
- Saved as a editable .pptx file, making it compatible with MS Word, Office 365, Open Office, and Google documents platforms as well as Blackboard and Canvas Learning Management Systems.
- This and all PowerPoints use Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Principles.
- Language and examples are coordinated with our Essay Assignment Sheet citation requirements (assignment sheets sold separately) and grading rubrics (also sold separately).
- PowerPoints files come with embedded MLA Style citation resource links.
- Resuable and easily customizable to meet the needs of any current or future comp. I or comp. II course learning outcomes.
Recommended Instructional Sequence
Italics references location of this PowerPoint.
- Building a Works Cited Page for Textbook/Internet Articles, first essay assignment.
- Introduction to Citation, first essay assignment.
- Introduction to Paraphrase/Summary Citation, second essay assignment.
- Citation Best Practices, with a focus on signal phrase language and content, third and/or fourth essay assignment(s).